Sunday 13 February 2011

The project moves on

Its been a couple of weeks since I updated the blog.  During those weeks I have  completed a multitude of small jobs which I will tell you about shortly. I will start with some interior modifications that I have been working when I have had 30mins here and there over the last couple of weeks.

The inside of the van, particularly the dashboard has its fair share of scratches, fair play I guess given it did have a previous life as a plumbers van as far as I can tell.  I had been researching the various ways of sprucing up the interior without making it look like a tarts handbag (my mother taught me that phrase - Hi Mam).  I stumbled upon a material made by 3M know as Di-Noc which is architectural grade adhesive film that is available in a plethora of textures, patterns and colours.  I decided to go with a carbon fibre effect.  Now, I know what you are thinking... thats going to look naff etc. Well I thought that until I saw the stuff for myself!  I previously worked for 6 years in motorsport (F1, MotoGP, WRC etc) so I've seen plenty of things made from carbon fibre - in fact I've designed a few components myself also - so I'm pretty familiar with what the stuff looks like.  The Di-Noc material is very effective with its 3D reflective texture,  I challenge the untrained eye to tell the difference.

The plan was to target a few subtle areas of the dashboard which would have doubly beneficial effect of hiding where there were scratches.


I decided to focus on the strip of trim that runs underneath the glovebox and the corresponding pieces along the dash.  Its pretty easy to remove, just stick your nail in and pull off from the right hand corner.


In order to get the small piece on the left you have to take the end of the dash off (the bit the mates with the door).  This also just pulls off quite easily revealing the  Torx screw that you need to undo to get the  panel off.


You can then take the small piece of trim off.  Its a similar story on the other side of the dash near the headlight controls.



Heres my first ever attempt at 'wrapping' the Di-Noc onto this small piece of trim.  I have to say it is pretty easy.  It has some criss-cross channels on the rear which help prevent bubbles and with a little help of a hair drier and some stretching to get it to mould to the 3D shapes it goes on very easily as you will see.


Small panel that fits to the left of the glovebox panel

Panel from below the glove box prior to fitting

Di-Noc carbon fibre trim on the previously scratched panels

Heres the finished effect.  I am quite proud of myself ! I'd really recommend doing this, Di-Noc is available in lots of different finishes.

view of dash showing Di-Noc carbon trim around the light swtiches



I also did the ashtray/cup holders and the fuse box box cover.  I reckon the whole process took me about 2 hrs and cost me less than £20.  I bought a 1m x 0.7m piece and still have loads left which I will use on some other things as the build progresses

Drinks holder and fuse box

No comments:

Post a Comment