Sunday 13 February 2011

Number plates and LED Number plate lights

I've had the same number plates on the van since I purchased it last September.  The dealer had just fitted some stickers to them and had not put new plates on.  I've always quite fancied the pressed aluminium plates so I decided to go ahead and get some.

I found plenty of suppliers on Ebay and decided to get the plates with the legal GB font so that I would not attract any attention from the cops.  They arrived in a nicely packaged box with some sticky pads for fitment.

Original plastic plates

Pressed Aluminium plates
I think that they look loads better and are quite a subtle addition to the van.  As you can imagine they were incredibly easy to fit.

To finish them off I got myself some LED lamps to replace the filament bulbs.  I figured that they would look better and more modern than standard warm glow from the standard bulbs.  Removing the standard lamps was pretty straightforward, all you need is a philips screw driver.

pulling out the lens assembly on rear numberplate light

After removing the screws you will need to get your nail or another suitable object to lever out the lens, bulb and connector assembly.  I found that the plastic that retains the contacts broke very easily and ended up having to buy a replacement lens assy from VW TPS.

VW T5 number plate light lens
I got the LED bulbs from Ebay.  Below is a picture of the packet so that you can source them yourselves.  They are T11 39mm LED lamps

VW LED lamp for numberplate

VW LED lamp for numberplate T11 39mm
Fitting the LED bulb is easy, however refitting the lens and bulb assembly is a little tricky and requires some patience.  The design of it is so that the process of fitting makes the electrical contact to make them work.  Therefore if they don't work first time, make sure that the metal contacts are actually making contact and that the metal inside the socket is not corroded.

Before - with filament bulbs

After - with LED bulbs


No comments:

Post a Comment