Tuesday 11 January 2011

Garmin Ecoroute HD - Awesome realtime engine information

Hi All.  Im currently taking a break from working on the van and any kind of work infact.  However, I thought I'd update you all on the latest addition to the van- Ecoroute HD and Garmin GPS 1640 unit.  As an engine person I have ben keen to get information on the main engine conditions for some time.  I did consider retrofitting the standard VW engine computer but found that it would be extremely expensive as it involved a lot of time and money taking the dash out, sourcing the computer, scratching your head when it didn't work etc.  I had scoured the internet for equipment to get information from the cars OBD II (onboard diagnostic port) and there are a variety of units available many of them using bluetooth technology to relay the information to either your mobile phone or a bespoke display unit.

ECOroute HD Garmin


I decided after coming across the Garmin Nuvi range and their ecoroute technology that it was the best way to go.  I had been considering getting a new double DIN stereo with built in TomTom but decided that a seperate GPS unit was better (I previously have had a Porsche 911 and a BMW M3 with GPS and found that their built in GPS technology is out of date within a year to 18 months anyway).  Also the Garmin Nuvi range is very slimline and can be installed very neatly on top of the T5 dash.

So, the decision was made and I put the Garmin 1690 Nuvi on my Christmas list and purchased myself the ecoroute.

NUVI 1690


The setup of the GPS unit and ecoroute is very simple.  All you need to do is connect the ECOroute bluetooth adaptor to the OBD connector under the dashboard on the drivers side and run through some simple setup steps on the GPS unit.  Within 2 minutes I was out for my first test drive!

VW T5 Transporter OBD II Port


As written in previous blogs I am an engine engineer by profession and I am keen to continue to optimise the MPG of my T5.  I do a lot of miles everyday back and fro to work.  The ECOroute will serve as a good tool to monitor the effect of the modifications going forward.  I intend to blog about the improvements in the T5s MPG going forward.  So far I saw a 2-5% improvement from the blanking off of the EGR circuit and a expected gain in transient performane (acceleration from standstill etc).  Next steps will be to improve volumetric efficiency of the engine through some modifications to intake, exhaust and breather system.  My final plan is to get the vehicle remapped - most probably by Pendle performance.

Generic screenshot of Garmin ECOroute


When I get some more time I will show how I have installed the Garmin Nuvi 1690 GPS and Ecoroute HD unit on a permanent basis on the dash.

My current fuel tank average is 40MPG over about 6-7 tanks was 38 before blanking off the EGR,  I think Ill get another 8-10% through the modifications I plan to do.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. how do you blank off the egr?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite keen to know more about the Ecoroute HD and whether it actually works with the T5s.

    The port appears to be "not quite" OBDII or EOBD compliant, so most OBDII port display gauges seem not to work. I had an Ultragauge given to me as a Christmas present, but it didn't work in my 2005 T5.

    I'd appreciate your comments on whether the Ecoroute HD actually picks up the VW data, if you can spare a moment?

    James...

    ReplyDelete