Tuesday 19 April 2011

The interior build Part 2

With the bed platform given a jumpstart due to teamwork between myself, my Dad and my Mam the next weekend was set for further leaps forward.  The weather was also getting much better and bank holidays approaching fast - I decided to up the ante.  This particular weekend I decided to be up and working on the van by 8am...


I was keen to get started on the other elements of the kitchen install and as mentioned previously this meant a trip to Ikea to get the units and doors.  I decided that this weekend that I would work in the courtyard of my apartment building (it was a lovely day).

 

 The first job was to build all the units.  Ikea units are pretty straightforward to put together, if a little boring!  Its quickly done and then I started the job of adapting the units to fit the contours of the vehicle.


In order to get the contours correct I used the 'scribing' technique which was passed from Father to Son in the recent bed platform build.  This enabled me to , relatively quickly, get the cabinets cut to fit over the wheel arch and to fit into the rear portion, near the doors.



It is important to treat the collection of units as one unit during this fitting process.  What you will find if you decide to follow a similar path is that you have to space the units a little bit out from the wall to ensure you compensate for the curve in towards the roof of the vehicle.  I suggest that you build all the units up, fix the position along the length of the vehicle before starting your scribing exercise.


After not too long an the use of a jigsaw I got the units to fit very nicely.  I was very pleased with myself at this stage!


 Next was to tackle the top unit at the rear.  This was a little more tricky to get right as there are two dimensions that you need to scribe in.


Heres where I got to by the end of the day.  Units were all in and I fixed them to the floor using screws into the ply and used a collection of brackets to fix to the walls.  A good days work.




No comments:

Post a Comment