Friday 28 January 2011

MPG and Aerodynamics

Regular readers of my blog will know that I am on the pursuit of more fuel economy.  I am an engineer by profession and have spent all of my working life involved with engines.  I have previously blogged about the engine mods I have done and/or planning but I have not told you about my thoughts with regard to other routes to fuel economy.

Did you know that the drivetrain consumes only 15% of the total energy to drive you vehicle , the remainder of the energy is rolling resistance (tyres) 25% and the biggest chunk is air resistance at 60%.  So if you are seriously about good fuel economy and are not driving around town all the time,  aero and rolling resistance mods are the way to go for big gains.

VW Concept car

I am now starting to do some research on this subject and will be scouring the web, my textbooks and picking my engineer friends brains to see what Bertha is going have done to her to make her use less fuel!

Heres a link to begin with

If anyone has done this kind of thing before on a Van (especially a VW T5) please contact me.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment