Monday 31 January 2011

Front Windows tinting - Tint R Nottingham


Didn't get much done on the van this weekend myself but I did employ someone to do a job for me!  Since getting the rear limo glass windows fitted I have wanted to do something with the front windows as they looked a little out of place.  I decided that I would explore the possibility of getting them tinted (a little).  I didn't have a clue how much it might cost, how long it would take or even if there was someone nearby that could do it.



Google came to my rescue and quickly identified a number of 'tinters' in the nottingham area.  My attention was drawn to the company Tint R as I have seen their distinctive stickers on a few cars around Nottingham.  A quick email arranged a 11.00am slot on a Sunday (I got a response within minutes from Richard who was off skiing at the time apparently!).


Tint - R Head Quarters



A short drive on sunday morning took me a to a small industrial estate in a Basford, Nottingham and the neat, clean and tidy workshop of  Tint R.  After backing my Van into the workshop Richard quickly got to work removing the interior trim of the doors and giving the windows a quick clean using some kind of magic solution.

removal of door cards

preparation work


I was then shown the various shades of tint that I could go for ranging from Limo tint to a very subtle barely noticeable tint.  I decided to for for a middle of the road tint which should keep the cops at bay.... lets hope so.

Tint R's experience showed with the efficient manner at which Richard cut the film to size and prepared the glass.  This is not the kind of thing I would like to do myself,  the possibilities for getting it wrong and trapping dirt are pretty large and apparently once you remove the self-adhesive cover and the transfer solution goes off this stuff sticks 'like the proverbial'.

Towards the end of the process


All in all, I would highly recommend Tint R if you are based in the midlands or, for that matter, anywhere within 100miles.  The service was very good, product excellent and the cost very reasonable.


The finished article


Before


After




3 comments:

  1. Hi, found this from your link on T5 Forum. I'm loving your blog, really interesting and helpful.
    I'm wanting my fronts and tailgate tinted too, and not too far from Tint-R, can i ask how much it cost you? Si

    ReplyDelete
  2. £50 for the front two windows - bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - I'm doing pretty much the same conversion with van presently (2006 SWB 1.9 104 T5)and am finding your blog very handy indeed - quality work and pics are great. I'm also interested in improving the fuel economy of the van and am currently getting 39mpg on average with no mods but am about to fit the EGR plate. Have you found that fitting the alloys makes a difference to the MPG? I was thinking 135/50/18s but am not sure. Jon

    ReplyDelete