Tuesday 25 January 2011

Garmin 1690 Nuvi and Ecoroute - Update

Hello everyone.  I thought I'd post an update on how I am getting on with my new Sat Nav unit with its bluetooth OBDII connection.

I am very pleased with it.  At the moment I am using the device to get a good baseline on my Vans fuel economy before starting the modifications. At the moment the ECOroute tells me I am getting about 35-36mpg, however measuring tank to tank I am getting 41mpg.  Reading about this a little bit I have learnt that the ECOroute takes time to calibrate itself accurately and is corrected a little every time you use the "At the pump" feature to input your actual fuel fill in litres and the trip distance.  Being a little bit obsessive in this regard I have a stack of receipts and records of previous tanks and trip distances and have now entered those into the unit.

At the moment I am running the device off the battery and charging periodically until I can find the time to fit the device permanently.  In fact, just today I worked out how to disassemble the centre of the dash and the radio so that I can access a switched live. (I will post photos and a how to shortly)

I'll finish off todays post with some screenshots to show that the T5 IS compatible with the ECOrouteHD contrary to some forum posts that I have read.  I can confirm that it is easy to set up and a very neat, quality and well designed unit.

Garmin Nuvi in position showing the gauge view which is customisable

Close up the gauge view showing the dials you get.

MPG Screen

ECO challenge screen - good fun on a commute!

No comments:

Post a Comment